Christmas in Bournemouth (2013)
For up-to-date information about Christmas activities in Bournemouth this year, contact the council on 01202 451 451.
The information below is stored for archive purposes and may be out of date.
Bournemouth kicks of its seasonal Christmas bonanza of events and festive cheer with the arrival of the much-loved Bournemouth Christmas Market from 14th November 2013 to 6th January 2014. With the Victorian carousel to add a touch of tradition, the markets will be bursting with gifts and unique crafts ideas, authentic decorations, tempting fare including open fire roasted chestnuts, what better after a full day shopping, you’ll be ready to relax over a warm mulled wine or chilled German beer.
The Square will be the hive of activity for all the festivities that are planned this yuletide; the heart of Bournemouth aimed to bring the whole town alive this Christmas time. Put your bags down and your feet up for a while at one of the many outdoor bars or cafes, revel in the surrounding merriment, live music and street entertainment to get you truly in the Christmas spirit.
- The Christmas Light’s official “Switch On” will again be centralised in The Bournemouth Square – 24 November 2013, at dusk.
- Stretching out in to the Lower Gardens “The Garden of Lights” will be sparkling and glittering up the beautiful dark wintry nights from 16th November to the 6th January 2014.
- FREE for everyone to enjoy with an eccentric addition this year; “The Light Pods” designed by local lighting team Michael Grubb. A installation of wonderment, colour and illumination.
- Throughout the same timings, The ‘real’ Ice Rink will take prime focal position within the Garden of lights. This year it boasts to bigger and better than ever! Tickets are £8.50, Open daily from 10am.
- Finally, Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without Santa’s Grotto. Father Christmas and his helpful elves will be available to visit: 16th, 17th, 23rd, 24th and 30th November then until 24th December Tickets From £4.50
- The Bournemouth Father Christmas Parade will take place on 1st December with the Nativity Parade staged 12th December, both events again commencing from The Square.
- Aladdin pantomime at Bournemouth Pavilion Theatre – 7th December – 5th January
- Jack and the Beanstalk at Lighthouse Poole – 6th December – 5th January
- Aladdin at Tivoli Wimborne – 20th December – 4th January
Christmas Theatre, Music & Dance
- That’ll be the day Christmas Show at BIC – 21st December
- A Christmas Carol at Pavilion 28th – 30th November
- Christmas Spectacular at Regent Centre Christchurch 20th – 24th December
- Pavilion Dance Cabaret at Pavilion Dance South West – 22nd December
- Vienna Festival Ballet present Snow White – 5th December at Tivoli Wimborne
Christmas around the area:
Christmas in Christchurch – Saturday 30 November
A full seasonal agenda is lined-up in charming Christchurch featuring music, dance, and performers entertaining the town centre throughout the whole day from 10am.
The Christmas Street Market in the High Street will be brimming with more than 50 stalls while the fun fare for the children should keep the little ones amused until Santa arrives later in the day.
Meanwhile the Christmas Craft Fair and The Priory Advent Fayre in the grounds of the Christchurch Priory will offer the opportunity to peruse a more unique hand-made gift selection bought to you by local artists and artisans. With a host of extraordinary present choices, delicious refreshments and seasonal beverages, delight in a relaxed pleasant ambience to your Christmas shopping day.
Evening highlights include:
- 4.15pm Father Christmas leaving from Peeks Partystore travelling through Bargates, the High Street, Church Street ending at the Priory Church
- 4.45pm Meet Father Christmas
- 6pm Christmas lights switch-on from the balcony of the Old Town Hall
- Magical Christmas fayre – Saturday 7th December
Fire Radio will adding to the festivities while the Christmas lights are switched on at 4pm outside M&S.
- Father Christmas arrives at Poole Quay followed by the traditional Santa Parade – 17th November
- Christmas on Poole Quay, 1st December From 5.00pm.
Everything for a family fun-filled festive day out: Carols by the tree, drummers, snow, live music, mince pies, roasted chestnuts, mulled wine and Father Christmas yet in the mean time the boat owners on the harbour will join in with the yuletide cheer by decorating their boats to provide a glittering backdrop to the surrounding jollities.
- Turning on the Christmas Lights, November 30, Wimborne Square, 4.30pm
A local warm community spirit will no doubt be engaged in Wimborne this Christmas, this pretty and enchanting market village will entice you with all the traditional family favourites from local produce, beers and ciders, cheeses, cakes, chutneys, meats as well as exclusive, chic gifts collections.
- Christmas Garden 7th – 15th December, Courtyard of the Greyfriars, 9.00am to 4.00pm
The community courtyard will be adorned with a beautiful array of Christmas decorations, lights, imitation snow and seasonal plant life.
- Christmas Lights Switch On – Friday 29 November
Lymington sets its Christmas season off in full swing with Carol Singing around the Crib at St Thomas’s Church, “The Lymington Choral Society” will be resonating classic tunes with the lights being blasted ‘On’ at 6.25pm. Santa flies in on his sleigh for his annual visit at 6.30pm with late night shopping on the High Street the whole town will then re- open for Christmas retail therapy at 9pm.
- Santa Dash — 8th December
The annual Santa Dash takes place in the High Street, starting and finishing by the Post Office. All donations received will support Oakhaven Hospice.
Wishing you a very Merry Christmas from Bournemouth.com!