Welcome to 1812 Bar and Restaurant, 1812 are proud of our cocktail achievement to date, expanding our knowledge and industry standards where ever possible.
On the 24th of April 1812 the founder of Bournemouth, Captain Lewis Tregonwell, took up residence in his newly built mansion. He purchased the land from Sir George Ivison Tapps Lord of the Manor of Christchurch for £179 & 11 shillings. It was the first house in Bourne derived from a geographical reference to the little Bourne (burna) meaning stream which was later to give Bournemouth its name.
In the early days friends were invited to visit to relax and use the beaches. This heralded the very beginnings of the great British
seaside holiday. When the Marchioness of Exeter became the first tenant, the mansion house was renamed Exeter House and the road Exeter Road to commemorate her visit.
The house was purchased by Henry Newlyn in 1876 who extended the mansion and it became known as Newlyns Family Hotel. After numerous visits by the Royal Family it acquired its present title The Royal Exeter Hotel.
Our bar and restaurant’s name is in recognition of the massive historical impact this building has had on the town over the past two centuries. 1812 Management would like to thank all of its loyal customers and staff who have helped make the first three years such a success seeing us winners and runners up for several awards, one of which rating us in the top four in the country.